Whenever your tear glands don’t produce enough tears to lubricate the eyes then you’re experiencing dry eyes (or dry eye syndrome). It can be caused by both medical and environmental factors.
Home Remedies for Dry Eyes:Click here to Read More
Here we will know all about the best natural ways to deal with these dry eyes. Let’s have a look at these remedies and follow them regularly to get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Washing Eyelid Frequently)
Due to scratchy feeling in the eyes, people tend to rub their eyes constantly, which can result in inflammation and worsen the problem. So, wash your eyelids few times a day to maintain proper eye hygiene and get rid of this discomfort.
- Take few drops of baby shampoo onto your clean fingers.
- Close your eyes and massage the shampoo gently on your eyelids (near the base of the eyelashes) for few seconds.
- Rinse your eyelids with lukewarm water till the soap cleared completely.
- Continue doing this process for once or twice daily till you get rid of dry eyes.
Remedy – 2: (Warm Compress)
The heat from the warm compress helps to increase blood circulation and thus promotes the formation of tears to lubricate your eyes. It also soothes the irritation and relieves you from dry eyes and its symptoms.
- Take a clean and lint-free cloth and soak it in hot water (at a temperature of 108˚ F).
- Wring out to remove excess water and hold this warm damp cloth over your closed eyelids for 10 minutes (at a time).
- When the cloth cools, you have to rewet it in warm water and apply it again.
- Rinse your eyes with lukewarm water after 2 – 3 compresses.
- Repeat the process for twice daily till your symptoms subside.
Remedy – 3: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil has ricinoleic acid which works as an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that relieves the itching, irritation, burning or pain sensation associated with dry eyes. It also reduces the tear evaporation and safe to use for treating dry eyes.
- Always use pure, organic and hexane – free castor oil to treat dry eyes.
- Pour 1 drop of castor oil in each eye by using an eye dropper.
- Close your eyes and relax for few minutes.
- Do this twice daily to keep the eyes well moisturized and to reduce dry eyes symptoms.
Note: Or use coconut oil (rewet the eyes, prevents tear evaporation and reduces your discomforts). Apply coconut oil on your closed eyelids using a cotton ball (or) simply do oil pulling in the morning on an empty stomach to remove toxins from the body that contributing to dry eyes.
Remedy – 4: (Omega – 3 Fatty Acids)
Omega – 3 fatty acids are one among those essential fatty acids that required for eye health. It reduces the inflammation and stimulates the production of higher quality tears.
- Include omega – 3 fatty acid rich foods like ground flaxseed or flaxseed oil, soybean oil, palm oil, walnuts, fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel or sardines), chia seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, etc. in your diet to enhance the health of your eyes.
- Or simply take omega – 3 supplements after consulting your doctor.
Remedy – 5: (Blinking Exercise)
Blinking eyes will moisten the eyes by improving the flow of tears along with spreading it to sides of the eyes. It also improves blood circulation to reduce eyestrain, so perform this exercise for 5 times at least every hour.
- Close your eyes fully and count to 2.
- Squeeze the eyelids together and count till 2
- Open your eyes and count to 2 and repeat it few times daily.
- Or you can also use 20/20/20 rule – for every 20 minutes of work in screen time then look at something at least 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Also, massage your eyes with coconut oil or olive oil over your eyelids for few minutes to improve blood circulation and relax the muscles around the eyes.
Remedy – 6: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has alkaline nature that heals dry eyes. It has moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling, redness, and inflammation by moisturizing your dry eyes.
- Extract the aloe vera gel freshly and place the gel on a piece of tissue.
- Use it to gently wipe the outside of your eyelids.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it 2 – 3 times daily till you get complete relief from dry eyes.
Note: Or never ever place aloe vera gel directly on the eyes.
Remedy – 7: (Rose Water)
Rose water works as a natural relaxer that treats strained or tired eyes. It contains vitamin A that helps for the proper eye care and treats dry eyes along with its symptoms.
- Apply rose water on the closed eyelids using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes and repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or rinse your eyes with pure rose water (or) use pure rose water as eye drops for instant relief to treat dry eyes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use a humidifier to add moisture to the air which helps to prevent dry eyes (or) put a pan of water in front of heat vent as a substitute for a commercial humidifier.
- Dehydration also results in dry eyes. So, drink plenty of water to increase the fluid intake which in turn helps the body to hydrate and reduce the symptoms.
- It’s best to take frequent breaks while working on electronic gadgets like computers, smartphones, etc.
- Avoid dry environments, outdoors or indoors, as dry air acts as an irritant. Also, use wraparound sunglasses or other protective eyewear that helps to block the wind and dry air.
- Always remember to remove all traces of eye makeup from the lids and lashes at the end of the day.
- Treat eyelid infections and other eye problems like meibomian gland dysfunction, blepharitis, etc, or else it results in dry eyes.
- Reduce or avoid the usage of contact lenses to get rid of dry eye and its symptoms.
- Avoid excessive intake of coffee and acidic foods till your symptoms subside.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get complete relief from this problem, as it can be caused due to certain health issues or medications. Go for a proper diagnose and treatment to get rid of dry eyes.